Tuesday, July 20, 2010

WEEK 2

During week 2 we were able to explore how wiki or personal websites could be used within the classroom.

WIKI
I had never used a wiki before so it was a great opportunity for me to learn how they worked, and what they could be used for. Wikis can be used as a great resource in the classroom- they can allow learners to catch up on lessons, review lessons or publish their own ideas. However anyone can edit wikis which can be of great concern when children are involved. If I was to incorporate the use of wikis into my classroom I would have to approach the situation with extreme caution and care. Learners would have to follow strict guidelines and as a teacher I would have to enforce them strongly by keeping an eye on wiki regularly. My wikispace can be viewed here.

WEBSITE
We were also able to develop our own personal website through Weebly. The site was very simple and easy to use. I have started to create my own site Kate eLearning. Personal websites can be used as a highly effective tool in the classroom, without the worry of anyone editing the information. Students can publish their work on the site allowing others to view, and evaluate their work.

We also discussed the strict copyright laws that exist, even on the internet. In becoming a teacher it is important for me to understand what is acceptable and what is not. When using images, music and videos that are not your own original work permission should be obtained and the source acknowledged. When dealing with young learners on a public site it is highly important that take care in what information you put up- especially personal information, such as names, location, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I’ve been looking at your blog and will make some comments, if I can think of any. This is apparently part of what we have to do. It would be good if you could have a look at mine, at http://plstevens.blogspot.com/ , and leave some comments. I have just made this document in word and am going to paste it onto a few blogs. Peter

    ReplyDelete