Monday, August 16, 2010

Google Maps


The above two photos were taken using a digital camera, then uploaded to a computer, and later on uploaded to Google maps to produce my own personal map with my own images. See the image below for my created Google map.
Personally I love Google maps, it is fun simply to find your own house, or check out where you would like to go. Google maps allows you to take virtual tours of almost anywhere in the world. Before heading to Bali a few years ago I used Google maps to see where my hotel was in relation to attractions, transport, food, etc. The tool can be highly valuable in a classroom as it has a number of ways in which different scenarios and contexts can be applied. As an example younger grades who might be following a research scientists travels, can track their journey electronically, uploading images at the site in which they were taken. Middle primary learners may use Google maps to plan a detailed holiday somewhere in the world, listing accommodation, restaurants, attractions, transport, etc. I have seen learners complete a similar task to this but without Google maps, which would enrich and engage the learners so much more.
The possiblities for Google maps are endless. The tool is simply a great way to compare and evaluate different countries terrain and building by getting an accurate satelite image and taking virtual tours.



View My first map in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment